History of St Hilda's

St Hilda’s, Beadlam, Nawton

St Hilda’s is the daughter church of St Gregory’s Minster in the Church Parish of Kirkdale, which comprises six civil parishes (Beadlam, Nawton, Skiplam, Wombleton, Welburn and Muscoates).  This church was built in 1882 – 83 to meet the needs of the large proportion of parishioners who lived in the expanding villages on the A170.  It was designed by Charles Hodgson Fowler and is built from dressed stone, with a plain tile roof and a sooden square bellcote with, pyramidal wooden spire to west gable.  The interior has a double chamfered chancel arch, wooden pews and pulpit and an octagonal stone font. The east stained glass window is by Kempe & Tower and was added in c1903-05. 

In the year 2000, a new extension was built to form a room for meetings and for social gatherings, it has both kitchen and toilet facilities.  It is known as the Millennium Room. It has some stained glass windows saved from the redundant chapels in Nawton and Wombleton to mark the link with our Methodist heritage.

The main body of the church is light and airy with a new Viscount electric digital organ was installed in the summer of 2021. There are also some memorial plaques which are of interest, including one for Lilian Duncombe, 1905, carved by Countess Gleichen, daughter of Count Gleichen Prince Victor of Hohenlohen-Langenburg (also a sculptor and nephew to Queen Victoria). The church clock was installed to mark Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887.

Kirkdale Parish has been a Local Ecumenical Partnership of Anglicans and Methodists for the last 20+ years.


Powered by Church Edit