Life Events - Marriage


We are delighted to welcome and assist you if you wish to be married at one of the five churches in the Benefice. Each has its own distinctive character, location, setting and capacity. Please contact the Vicar, the Rev'd Susan Binks (see Homepage).


To be eligible to be married at one of the churches ,one or both of you must have an address in that parish, or be on the Electoral Roll of that church, or have some past connection with the parish or church.

The Electoral Roll is a list of church members who regularly attend services (regularly is defined as at least once a month for at least 6 months).

If one of you qualifies and the other resides in England or Wales then that person must arrange to have Banns read at their local church and get a certificate of proof from the Vicar there. Banns are read on three successive Sundays within three months of the wedding, both in your home parish (es) and in the church you are to be married in. It is usual to come to come to the service to hear them read.

If one of you lives in Scotland or abroad you will have to apply for a licence. It is also sometimes possible to get married by licence if you reside in the parish for 15 days just before the wedding.

If you want a ceremony in church but can’t meet the above requirements it is possible to have a civil wedding with a registrar either in a hotel or registry office, followed by a Blessing Service at the church; this is exempt from the statutory conditions above and the service can be tailored to your needs.

It is possible to combine a wedding or blessing service with a baptism of a baby.

We can arrange an organist. If you would like the St Gregory’s Minster Choir at your wedding this also can arranged, subject to the choir’s availability.

It may be possible to arrange for the church flower arrangers to do your floral decorations or you may choose to have an outside florist or to do them yourself. It is usual for at least some of the flowers to be left in church for the service the next Sunday and during the following week. If you decide to arrange your own flowers or to book an outside florist you will need to liaise with the church wardens over access and stands etc.

The Vicar will go through the service and arrangements with each couple. Also, the Anglican Churches in Northern Ryedale arrange a day wedding preparation course in the Spring – this is well worth attending.


FEES (as in 2019; fees marked * are set by the Church of England)

Calling the Banns* £30(plus £14 for a Banns Certificate)

The Marriage Service* £455

Organ and Organist    £90

Choir  £150

Heat ( September – April/ May. £55 )

Sidesperson  £25

Please note that these fees are payable two weeks before the wedding. The Banns Certificate, to show that the Banns have been read at your home church, should be sent with the fee.


For a more comprehensive guide to church weddings, visit the Church of England web site